So many of our members are parents, life is busy between school/daycare, work, meal prepping, working out, balancing time with family and friends, illness, etc. LIFE IS CRAZY! But, they continue to take time for self-care and it impresses us every day! Today we are speaking to YOU, to those of you that are in the same boat!!
You MUST…. I repeat you MUST take time for self care. Yes, your children are important, yes your job is important, but you cannot pour from an empty cup. We tend to take on so much, way more than one person should take on and unfortunately there are only 24 hours in a day. Typically when we take on so much we give up our “ME time” the time we use for ourselves.
Self-care looks different for everyone! Here is a confession, I don’t like yoga, there I said it, I KNOW it’s good for my body but the pace is just not my style and I have tried so hard to like it. I have realized I don’t need to like it because I am supposed to, if it doesn’t fill my cup then I don’t need to do it (maybe a future blog post here). I myself really love to visit the salt room a few times a week, I also get a massage once a month, I shoot to workout three times a week and I get 7-8 hours of asleep almost every night., fuel my body with the best choices I can make (most of the time) These are non-negotiable for me because they help me be a better person! I have not always worked like that!
What helps me fill my cup may not fill yours but what I do know is self-care MUST be a priority.
Here are some ways to ensure you get some time for self-care:
- Put some “ME time” on your calendar and say NO to ANYTHING that may come up to steal that time.
- Learn to say NO
Here are some suggestions on things you can do:
- Take a lunch, do not work through it
- Read a book (may I suggest Happiness Project)
- Go for a walk
- Put your workouts on your calendar and make sure you get to them
- Prepare your food at the beginning of the week so you can grab and go and not stress about food. If you let yourself get hungry you WILL make bad decisions.
- Organize a room in your home to eliminate some anxiety
- Schedule a night with friends
- Go to a movie alone
- Go grocery shopping alone and stop at a café and crab a coffee drink and read a book along the way
- Attend yoga
- Swim some laps
- Go to the farmers market with a friend
- Try a new restaurant
- Bake your favorite cookies
- Attend a craft event you have wanted to learn
I challenge you to try this, for one month make self-care a PRIORITY, it is a game changer!!